Monday, October 8, 2007

I am such a sucker. More often than not Jack will not easily go to bed. On those nights he doesn't go to sleep right away, he gets out of bed over and over and over again. I try to be firm and tell him to get in bed, but then he says "Mommy, I need to tell you something -- I love you." And more often than not, I start to soften and either let him hang out in the living room with me (we watched Field of Dreams last night) or I let him go to sleep in my room. I wonder if Baby is going to have me wrapped around his finger as well...

Growing up, I never asked my parents (mom specifically) to help me with homework. Of course, I didn't have homework until well after I learned to read. Considering Jeremy is bringing home assignments when he barely knows how to read, I've been making up for those homework-free grade school years. Isn't it enough that I teach them right from wrong, how to be polite, play well with others, clean their room and cook a few dishes? Do I have to teach them to read, add, subtract, multiply and divide too? Those people who fail on Are you smarter than a 5th grader have probably not been the ones helping their children with homework.

No comments: