Thursday, March 15, 2007

Remembering Betty

I love old movies, specifically those made from the 1930s to the early 1960s, so I was interested when I heard Betty Hutton had passed away. In college, I took a bizarre course called Women in Film. Silly me - I thought the title meant we would watch films by some wonderful actresses (or at least those I enjoy). Women in Film actually meant that we were going to see how women were portrayed in films. Two very different ideas.

We did watch a few movies I enjoyed -- Joan Crawford in Mildred Pierce, Barbara Stanwyck in Stella Dallas and Betty Hutton in The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. Most of the other movies were somewhat strange and/or twisted -- quite like the instructor.

Today I enjoy watching some classics with my own children. Of course, musicals are the ones that hold their interest (although they have watched To Kill A Mockingbird). Some of their favorites are Sound of Music and Singin' in the Rain.

As the years go by, we continue to lose these wonderful theatrical talents. It is very sad because I don't believe there will ever be an actor or actress who will last through the years like Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn and Betty Hutton.

No comments: