Monday, April 21, 2008

We survived. This was one of the more hectic weekends we've had. I made it through Friday night at the Omniplex with I don't know how many hyper elementary-age girls and very little sleep. Whoever arranged the schedule and thought it was a good idea to put younger girls in the planetarium at midnight wasn't very smart. That only gave them an opportunity to rest/nap, so they got their second wind about the time lights were supposed to go out. Regardless, Anna had a great time, and I'm glad I went with her.

She and I were the only ones in her troop who skipped the human body exhibit, and I'm OK with that. I'm sure it's a very educational experience, but there were plenty of other things to see and do. While the other girls were looking at the bodies, Anna was flying in a flight simulator. None of the others got to do that. So she wasn't upset about missing the bodies.

After only three hours of sleep (even though I'm not sure I really went to sleep - I think the clock just skipped those hours), we loaded up and headed home. D was already packing up the other van with camping gear. So I helped him get everything ready, and sent him and the three oldest kids off to a Boy Scout campout.

Then Spencer took long naps all day, so I was able to sleep all day. Oh, yeah. He's 17 months old. He doesn't do that anymore. So we played for awhile, and then I put him down for a brief nap. I tried not to fall asleep because I had to go to my aunt and uncle's for lunch with the rest of the family. Then I had to go buy a birthday present for a friend of Anna's. Then I headed out to the camp site, which was just a little south of the metro. Yeah, they were really roughing it in the wildernes. Actually, they didn't have any nice amenities, so it was pretty primitive. But it was also very conveniently located.

I helped Jeremy earn an elective by roasting a hot dog, cooked Spencer and Jack hotdogs, and visited with the other parents. Then I loaded Spencer up and headed back to town where I picked up a pizza for myself. After I gave Spencer a bath and put him to bed, I spent the evening watching Into the Wild, which I may blog about later, and folding the huge pile of laundry on my couch.

Sunday morning, D got the kids home in time to bathe them and get them to church, where we volunteered in Spencer's nursery class. Then Anna had a birthday party to attend. It wore me out just recapping it. Now I have to get ready for this week because I have plenty of work to do at the office and to prepare to enroll Jack in pre-K which will involve standing in a ridiculously long line at a ridiculously early hour. I wouldn't do it if convenience or money weren't an issue. So I better stop writing and start moving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm totally in agreement with you about skipping the Bodies exhibit. When it was first promoted, Mustang
wanted us to go, and I told him he'd have to find "some doctor friends" to go see it. Blech.