Thursday, April 24, 2008

I started out this morning needing a hot chocolate and a heavy coat. By late this afternoon, I was in desperate need of sunscreen and a nice shade tree. Rumor had it that the madness that is pre-k enrollment began last night with some parent actually camping out overnight. By late in the day, I believe the real story was that they arrived at 4 a.m. -- still ridiculous.

I was informed at 7:30 a.m. that there was a VERY long line, so I sent D over since he was ready to walk out the door to work. I made Jack's sandwich for school, opted not to finish drying my hair or curl it and then headed out the door, leaving the kids with my mother-in-law.

We were number 34 out of 40, so it was a close call. I may not get my preference of the morning class, but at least he's in. If I didn't already have two kids in the school, and it wasn't right out my back door, I'd say forget it, and either enroll Jack in one of the other elementary schools and even go with a private program.

They have three years to find a solution to this madness before it will be time to enroll Spencer in pre-k. Between now and then, our district's new high school will hopefully be completed and more space will be made available at the elementary schools. I really don't want to spend the night in front of a school just to get my child in pre-k. I may go for private school then.

No comments: