Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Many people ask how I manage everything with four kids. I'm not sure a day goes by that someone doesn't say, "how do you do it?" Well, my answer is, "you just do." My kids aren't perfect, but I don't think they are complete monsters. They usually manage a please or thank you. They do fight, but they also watch out for each other. And so far I haven't forgotten a kid anywhere. But I have driven a mile down the road and looked back to make sure Baby was in his carseat.

It's not easy having four. I don't know how parents with full-time jobs manage to do it, but their answer would probably be the same as mine. Growing up, I never thought about how many kids I'd have. I always knew I wanted to have kids. I just didn't focus on how many. I wasn't sure how well the whole childbirthing experience would go. I feel kind of strange when people realize I have four. I feel like an oddity, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tonight was a day where the chaos of having four kids was at a peak. Anna had soccer camp. Jack had a soccer game. And I was hosting bunko. Fortunately, I am very blessed with an extremely flexible mother who is ready and willing to help me out. So she loaded up the older three and headed to Braum's before taking Anna to camp and bringing the boys back home. D arrived home in time to feed Baby before taking all the boys to the soccer game.

Anna had a great time playing water soccer at camp. Jack kicked the ball three times. And while I didn't win at bunko, I enjoyed the time as usual. After reading another blogger's story about her battle with brain cancer, I am again reminder about the importance of enjoying and being thankful for the little things -- even chaotic days.

No comments: