Sunday, November 23, 2008

After observing and discussing Spencer's antics with my neighbor, she encouraged me to blog more stories of his quirky/deceptive/dangerous/funny behavior. So maybe I'll make this the first installmaent of Spencer's Saturday Roundup. Please don't think this will become a regular feature. It will probably happen when I think of it.

Today's entertainment began when Spencer was in the mood for a snack. When I took him in for his two-year checkup, he was in the 5th percentile for his weight. You'd think we never feed him. Actually we don't have to because he can access food in the refrigerator and pantry. I told him he could not have anything, so he quietly entered the dark pantry and left the door slightly ajar. When I heard a noise coming from that direction, I had no doubt I would find him in the pantry even though the light was not on. I opened the door and there he was with a box of Froot Loops. Again, I told him no, but not very forcefully. He preceded to pull the door closed except for a slight crack. At that time, I opened the door and took the cereal.

However, this did not deter him. He moved to another area of the kitchen where he was determined to get either gum or a bag of candy. First, he tried to use a Thomas the Tank Engine plush chair to reach one of these items. Although he was sadly short of his goal, I chose to move the items further out of reach. After this, he realized the chair was not suitable to the task at hand, so he retrieved from his room a decorative wooden storage box. He carefully placed it next to the cabinet where he should've been able to easily reach his goal. When he realized I was watching, he instructed me to 'top! To this, I laughed. Feeling insulted, I'm sure, he chose to push me out of the kitchen so he could secretly attempt to grab the forbidden item. Unfortunately, I returned to the kitchen, so he tried to hide behind some two-liter bottles of pop on the counter while he again made a play for the candy. But he knew the jig was up, told me to 'top and then made a move to put distance between me and his goal. He was saved by the bell when the neighbor's son came looking for his mother.

But I know Spencer is thinking tomorrow is another day, and he WILL find a way to get whatever snack/drink/candy he so desires.

No comments: