Saturday, December 15, 2007

For what it's worth

I enjoyed the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, and my kids loved it. I just read one review and it was scathing. I was shocked. However, it once again confirmed my belief that movie critics like theatre lovers can be snobs.

Enjoy a movie for what it is. The Chipmunks is a movie for kids, and their parents and grandparents who watched the same characters years before will not be appalled by Hollywood's efforts to modernize the cartoon. I got a kick out of several scenes, and if that wasn't enough, just hearing my son quote lines from the movie that he's heard in the trailers, was enough to make it worth my while. Many of the adults and children around me seemed to like the movie, too. My kids spent the rest of the evening pretending to be the Chipmunks.

Again, I wish more movie critics and wannabe movie critics would judge a movie for what it is whether that be a drama, comedy, chick flick, action or kids' movie.

No comments: