Friday, October 17, 2008

God knew what He was doing when He blessed me with only one daughter. That girl is going to wear me out before she hits her teenage years. After that, I should probably just curl up in the fetal position in under my covers because I'm not anticipating calm waters until she has gone to college.

When I left for work this morning, I issued one command -- clean up your mess when you are done playing. Does that seem like a confusing statement? Could it be misinterpreted? Obviously, it was as clear as mud because when I returned home more than seven hours later, she had constructed a lovely structure in the front yard. She is so creative which is a blessing and a curse. She managed to build a small shack out of sleeping bags that had not been stored since the last campout, two ice chests, a rope, chair and other miscellaneous items.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to take the fun out of her childhood. I had a great time as a kid building various forts, but I used parent-approved materials, such as scrap lumber if it was an outside structure. If I built a fort in the house, it was limited to my brothers' room and I once again used parent-approved blankets and I didn't drag odds and ends from every corner of the house into my fort.

Anyway, seeing the shack erected next to my house did not put me in the best of moods. And her attitude while she was cleaning it up did not win her any points. But the highlight was discovering goldfish crackers scattered around her closet. So tomorrow she is not allowed to watch TV until the mess is cleaned up. She has also been told that she is not allowed to make anything in the kitchen -- judging from her reaction, I believe this punishment had the greatest impact. Ah, how I love fall break.

1 comment:

Kristin and Co. said...

You are so mean. I watched the construction of that fort all day long and let me tell you that your boys enjoyed that fort too. Of course, we all know Anna's penchant for being Director of Operations, so there really is no doubt who was in charge.

I think you may have found her Achilles heel - grounding her from the kitchen. That's perfect and not only does it take away her fun, but it gives you back your kitchen even for just a bit!!!